Friday 5 June 2015

7 Quick Takes: The "My Standards Are Slipping" Edition

Manticore Mantoan


1) I know my standards are slipping because this is the first Quick Takes I have posted at Kelly's rather than Jen's. Obviously I don't mean I'm slumming it at Kelly's (feel I am about to dig an even deeper hole), but that it's been SO LONG since I wrote a blog post, let alone a Quick Take, that their home has since moved. And I haven't overly worried....so there. Standards lowered!

2) I just ordered a Tankini for my 10 year old rather than a cover-your-entire-body bathing costume. And I didn't bat an eyelid.  Because it was easier just to say yes. A Tankini, people. Standards... [edited to add that she didn't like it, and wants a regular swimsuit. See, she gets taken care of with or without my help or hindrance!]

3) When I microwaved coffee that had been left in the jug yesterday, I didn't know whether it had been freshly made that day, the day before, or the time before that....

4) My daughter has 3 school dresses which have ripped pockets, well not so much ripped pockets, but the pockets have ripped off the dresses, creating holes. And I haven't had, I mean MADE time to sew them. So she went in a dress that she'd previously worn. Which, because she'd actually listened to me about shoving it in the washbasket to wash, was completely ever so slightly creased.

5) To be honest, the one above isn't about standards slipping. I have always put off sewing. Although, the day before the May dance show 2nd and 3rdSister did, was literally the only 7 hours I had to do 7 hours worth of sewing, so the girls got their own breakfast, lunch and snacks while I LITERALLY just sat and sewed.

6) As you might imagine, that was not my favourite day ever. My favourite day ever was the time I took this morning to listen to the mix CD my husband made for me. And, God forgive me, one of the tracks I had to know what the song was, so I Googled it, and found the lyrics and who the song was by. True mix tape sacrilege. Couldn't wait til he gave me the track listing after I'd listened to the CD. Standards, Standen! (ooh that sounds interesting.) Damn you, internets!

7) However, I'm happy with slipping standards, as my post here will testify. Yesterday morning I gave pastoral care in the classroom to a parent of several children. I washed towels. I put away milk (finally). I was only two minutes late to go and collect the Sisters from school. And I'm happy with that, because I can only do what I can do. With God's grace of course - dreading to think where my standards would be without it!

Feel free to tell me how your standards have slipped in the comments section, and/or find more Quick Takes at This Ain't the Lyceum !

3 comments:

  1. We had ice cReam for dinner at 8:30 last night. I'm calling it a fun summer night. My kids call it Best Dinner Ever. But really, it's a standard that slipped.
    I can't sew a button on a shirt, so call me impressed with your seven hours of sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing actually! Much more inspiring than cereal for dinner, or other things that have been known to pass as dinner round here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My standards have been seriously slipping lately too - I've been meaning to organize my sewing space for MONTHS, and meanwhile the mending pile gets higher and higher and I haven't done a THING to it! One of these days... But my only sewing time is after the kids are all in bed, at which point I just want to collapse into a heap, not sit up and sew!

    ReplyDelete